Sunday, February 7, 2010

Trailer: Welcome to the Dollhouse by Todd Solondz (1996)



From Todd Solondz.com:
"I was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in the suburbs. At New York University Film School, I made several short films, one of which, 'Schatt's Last Shot,' was particularly popular. A screening was set up in Los Angeles, and the next day I was seated in the office of the (then) president of 20th Century Fox, Scott Rudin. A three-picture writing deal with Fox was quickly followed by an additional three-picture deal with Columbia. Unfortunately, the only thing I really liked about these deals was telling everyone I had them. I had a script I then took to Propaganda Pictures, who then got Polygram to finance it as my first feature. This was a not a happy experience. Released by The Samuel Goldwyn Company, the movie, 'Fear, Anxiety and Depression,' (which I would rather have had titled 'The Young and the Hopeless'), was 'a disappointment.' Afterwards I left 'the business' (or it left me) and, lacking any marketable skill, became an ESL (English as Second Language) teacher to newly arrived Russian immigrants. Pretending I had never gotten involved in film in the first place, I lived happily for several years. But then one day, when a lawyer/friend of mine said she was able to raise financing for a low-budget independent feature, I felt it was time to have second thoughts. I had written the screenplay for 'Welcome to the Dollhouse' years before, when I was still 'active,' in part to redeem myself from the horror of my first feature experience, and it was a script I had always been fond of. Evidently, I decided to reactivate." - Todd Solondz, from Sony Pictures Classics' official Welcome To the Dollhouse site